Monday, August 11, 2008

"Old" Submissions by Dolly Salazar

The following 2 photographs are from my friend Dolly Salazar. Dolly and I worked together at KPCC-FM in Pasadena, California for several years and I don't think I ever really knew that she liked to take photographs -- so I was thrilled when she decided to participate with the Poetic License blog!! It's always so wonderful to learn new things about "old" friends.

IR Jet Workings 2 (c) Dolly Salazar


"The first [photograph]," Dolly writes "is of some detail of a WWII-era air force jet (don't ask me which one or what part), taken at the Boeing Museum of Flight. My husband is a private pilot, my stepson is an aviation mechanic, and they are both obsessed with WWII aircraft. We spend a looooootta tiiiiiiime at the Boeing Museum of Flight. This is an indoor shot using infrared film, and I like the way the tone and sort of faded look around the edges give the shot some age.

"The second, The Kilns at Roche Harbor, is a shot of the [circa] 1881 lime kilns at the north end of San Juan Island. Lime was a huge industry here until the early 20th century, and these kilns processed the lime used throughout most of the Pacific Northwest during that time. Exterior shot, Tri-X film maybe I think? (Yeah, I know, shame on me...)"

The Kilns at Roche Harbor (c) Dolly Salazar


I am really looking forward to seeing more of Dolly's photographs!

1 comment:

Blisterina said...

"...I don't think I ever really knew that she liked to take photographs..."

Listen, Tnut, when I neglect a hobby, I really neglect a hobby!